Epidemiological profile of Zika, Dengue and Chikungunya virus infections identified by medical and molecular evaluations in Rondonia, Brazil.
Epidemiological profile of Zika, Dengue and Chikungunya virus infections identified by medical and molecular evaluations in Rondonia, Brazil. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2019 Aug 19;61:e40 Authors: Vieira DS, Zambenedetti MR, Requião L, Borghetti IA, Luna LKS, Santos AOD, Taborda RLM, Pereira DB, Krieger MA, Salcedo JMV, Rampazzo RCP Abstract Several arboviruses have emerged and/or re-emerged in North, Central and South-American countries. Viruses from some regions of Africa and Asia, such as the Zika and Chikungunya virus have been introduced in new continents causing major public health problems. The aim of this study was to investigate the presence of RNA from Zika, Dengue and Chikungunya viruses in symptomatic patients from Rondonia, where the epidemiological profile is still little known, by one-step real-time RT-PCR. The main clinical signs and symtoms were fever (51.2%), headache (78%), chills (6.1%), pruritus (12.2%), exanthema (20.1%), arthralgia (35.3%), myalgia (26.8%) and retro-orbital pain (19.5%). Serum from 164 symptomatic patients were collected and tested for RNA of Zika, Dengue types 1 to 4 and Chikungunya viruses, in addition to antibodies against Dengue NS1 antigen. Direct microscopy for Malaria was also performed. Only ZIKV RNA was detected in 4.3% of the patients, and in the remaining 95.7% of the patients RNA for Zika, Dengue and Chikungunya viruses were not detected. This finding is intriguing as the region has been endemi...
Conclusion: In conclusion, Frey's procedure appears to be a less burdensome surgical procedure. Thus, it could be the first option for management of patients with large pancreatic stone. PMID: 31824884 [PubMed]
CONCLUSION: Rehabilitation with PENS improved kinematics in both tasks and decreased EMG activity. This suggests that rehabilitation with PENS may improve muscle function during functional tasks. PMID: 31825893 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
CONCLUSIONS: The observed changes in CoM motion at POST2 may be associated with atypical running biomechanics that can translate to greater mediolateral impulses, potentially increasing the risk of injury. This study demonstrates the use of an accelerometer as an effective tool to detect atypical CoM motion for runners due to fatigue, recovery, and musculoskeletal pain in real-world environments. PMID: 31825892 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Primary extrarenal Wilms tumor of the gynecologic tract is extremely rare with scattered case reports occurring in the ovary, uterine corpus and cervix. Only 9 cases of primary ovarian Wilms tumor have been reported to date. Here, we provide an extensive literature review and describe 2 patients with ovarian Wilms tumor: a 36-yr-old female (patient 1) and a 16-yr-old female (patient 2), both presenting with abdominal pain and suspected ovarian torsion. They were each found to have unilateral ovarian masses measuring>15 cm in size which were removed by unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Microscopically, the tumors ...
[The Conversation Africa] The infectious disease burden in Africa is very high, particularly for tuberculosis (TB), malaria and HIV/AIDS. In 2018, nearly a quarter (24%) of TB cases in the world were in Africa. The region accounted for 93% of malaria cases. The continent also bears the brunt of the HIV epidemic: 20.6 million of the 37.9 million people living with HIV are in eastern and southern Africa.
PET/MRI is better than MRI alone for the detection and staging of nodes and...Read more on AuntMinnie.comRelated Reading: Can FDG-PET/MRI replace biopsy in breast cancer cases? PET/MRI sheds light on cerebral vascular risk factors PET/MRI can pinpoint causes of chronic extremity pain SNMMI: FDG-PET/MRI improves pain diagnosis, management PET/MRI offers view to atherosclerotic disease origin
Complex Information for Anesthesiologists Presented Quickly and Clearly
Conclusions In a simulated preoperative evaluation, anesthesia residents have variable and, at times, flawed recognition of patient cues, responsiveness to patient cues, pain management, and patient interactions.
Conclusion: Contact lens wear might produce a desensitization-like mechanism responsible for comfortable CL wear. A malfunction of this mechanism might contribute to CLD. PMID: 31825696 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
A 63-year-old man presents with an extremely painful right big toe. He is told that he should avoid aspirin. Why?Osmosis