Log in to search using one of your social media accounts:

 

Mother, 38, left blinded, bald and paralysed by a PARASITE
Claire Wilkinson, 38, from Brisbane, has battled the acanthamoeba keratitis parasite for a decade - despite doctors initially saying she just had conjunctivitis. Treatment has failed to kill the bug. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - September 20, 2017 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

AK can be picked up by contact lens when swimming
EXCLUSIVE: Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasite found in water across the world, is picked up by lenses, researchers at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne say. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - September 6, 2017 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Don't swim while wearing contact lenses, study warns
EXCLUSIVE: Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasite found in water across the world, is picked up by lenses, researchers at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne say. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - September 5, 2017 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

FDA Orphan Drug Designation Granted to Profounda Inc. for the Treatment of Acanthamoeba Keratitis with Miltefosine
ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 19, 2016 -- (Healthcare Sales & Marketing Network) -- Profounda, Inc. ("Profounda") announced today that it has received the US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Orphan Drug Designation for the treatment of Acanthamoeba Ke... Biopharmaceuticals, Ophthalmology, FDA Profounda, miltefosine, Acanthamoeba Keratitis (Source: HSMN NewsFeed)
Source: HSMN NewsFeed - December 19, 2016 Category: Pharmaceuticals Source Type: news

Cornwall paramedic has his EYE removed after parasite infects his contact lens
Andrew Carthew, from Wadebridge, Cornwall, was diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis - an infection caused by an amoeba - a parasite found in almost all soil, fresh and sea water. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - December 2, 2016 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Blinded by a contact lens: Devon man is left in agony and unable to drive
Stephen Souter, 63, from Devon, was diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis, an infection caused by an amoeba — a parasite found in almost all soil, fresh water and sea water. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - December 29, 2015 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Wear contact lenses? Read this - and you'll never swim in them or fail to wash your hands again
The parasite Acanthamoeba keratitis can burrow through contact lenses - and swimming, running lenses under tap water and poor hygiene are often to blame, a leading expert warns. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - May 29, 2015 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Jessica Greaney kept awake for a WEEK to stop parasite burrowing into eyeball
Jessica Greaney, 18, from Nottingham, had to have eyedrops put in her eyes every 10 minutes to stop the parasite Acanthamoeba Keratitis leaving her blind. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - May 19, 2015 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Acanthamoeba keratitis: A rare infectious eye disease is targeted by a new drug treatment under development by a European consortium
ODAK is an industry led FP7 project which aims to develop a safe and effective treatment for a rare eye disease Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), a devastating and severely debilitating condition which can lead to blindness and in over 85% of cases associated with contact lens wearing.AK is caused by a common protozoan (Acanthamoeba spp.) infecting the cornea which is extremely difficult to treat because of the pathogens resistance to antimicrobial therapy. It affects 1 in 100,000 people in the EU. (Source: Health News from Medical News Today)
Source: Health News from Medical News Today - March 3, 2014 Category: Consumer Health News Tags: Eye Health / Blindness Source Type: news

Acanthamoeba Keratitis Associated With Tap Water UseAcanthamoeba Keratitis Associated With Tap Water Use
Although exposure to water sources while wearing contact lenses is a known risk factor for infection, this behavior in contact lens hygiene protocols continues to prevail. Would explicit warnings help? Eye & Contact Lens (Source: Medscape Today Headlines)
Source: Medscape Today Headlines - May 20, 2013 Category: Consumer Health News Tags: Ophthalmology Journal Article Source Type: news