ALung raises $2.6m
Artificial lung-like device developer ALung Technologies raised $2.6 million in a new round of debt and options financing, according to an SEC filing posted this week. The Pittsburgh, Penn.-based company is developing the Hemolung device, an extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal system that works by removing carbon dioxide and delivering oxygen directly to a patient’s blood via a small catheter inserted into the jugular or femoral vein. ALung Technologies has not yet stated how it plans to spend money raised in the round. Money in the round came from 37 unnamed sources, with the company seeking another $1.4 million before closing the round. The 1st sale in the round was reported on Dec. 27, according to the SEC filing. Last month, ALung Technologies said it raised $2.6 million in a new round of financing, according to an SEC filing posted this week. Last January, ALung Technologies reported raising $10.8 million in a round of debt financing. A month earlier, the company said its Hemolung RAS extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal device was selected for use in the world’s 1st pivotal trial of ECCO2R technology used to treat patients with acute respiratory failure. The post ALung raises $2.6m appeared first on MassDevice.
Abstract Redox-active compounds such as copper-phenanthroline are known as artificial/chemical nucleases with a great impact and potential for their applications as metallotherapeutics. In that vein, the mononuclear copper(II) complexes [Cu(L)2(bipy)] (1), [Cu(L)2(bipy)(H2O)] (2) and [Cu(L)2(phen)(H2O)] (3), where L = 2-thiophene carboxylate, bipy = 2,2΄-bipyridine and phen = 1,10-phenanthroline, have been prepared and pharmacochemically studied, while the crystal structure of 1 is also reported. All the tested complexes preferably bind to CT-DNA via minor groove as resulted from UV spectroscopy studi...
AbstractMucopolysaccharidoses (MPS) are a group of hereditary disorders caused by lysosomal storage of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) and characterized by a wide variability of phenotypes from severe fetal-neonatal forms to attenuated diseases diagnosed in adult individuals. The clinical picture generally worsens with age due to progressive storage involving mucosal tissue, upper airways and lungs, bones and joints, central and peripheral nervous system, heart, liver, eye, and ear. Cardiac storage of GAGs involves valves, heart muscle, and vessels (particularly the coronary arteries), and can be specific in relation to differen...
CRITICAL CARE CLINICS
Lung transplantation is the gold standard for treating patients with end-stage lung disease. Such patients can present with severe illness on the waitlist and may deteriorate before a lung donor is available. Bridging strategies with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) are valuable for getting patients to transplant and provide a chance at survival. The current article describes the indications, contraindications, and techniques involved in bridging to lung transplantation with ECMO.
Long-term outcomes after lung transplantation (LTx) remain inferior to other solid organs such as heart transplantation. This is largely a result of a high prevalence of chronic lung allograft dysfunction (CLAD), affecting approximately 50% of transplanted patients at 5 years post-transplant.1 Although Bronchiolitis Obliterans Syndrome (BOS) is the major clinical phenotype of CLAD (occurring in 70% of CLAD patients), Restrictive Allograft Syndrome (RAS), the other CLAD phenotype (30%), has a worse survival following diagnosis.
Since the Fontan operation was first performed in 1968, the procedure has been refined to afford the best long-term outcome for patients with single ventricle physiology, with recent studies showing 70% freedom from Fontan failure including the need for cardiac transplant at 20 years.1 Despite these improvements, the inherent physiology of the Fontan palliation with passive venous blood flow from the body to the pulmonary arteries can result in a variety of complications related to chronic venous congestion and low cardiac output.
Elevated blood pressure (BP) has been linked to adverse events during left ventricular assist device support. We aimed to investigate the association between outpatient BP and stroke or suspected pump thrombosis among HeartMate II (HMII) recipients.