Log in to search using one of your social media accounts:

 

Mother, 38, left blinded, bald and paralysed by a PARASITE
Claire Wilkinson, 38, from Brisbane, has battled the acanthamoeba keratitis parasite for a decade - despite doctors initially saying she just had conjunctivitis. Treatment has failed to kill the bug. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - September 20, 2017 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

AK can be picked up by contact lens when swimming
EXCLUSIVE: Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasite found in water across the world, is picked up by lenses, researchers at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne say. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - September 6, 2017 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Don't swim while wearing contact lenses, study warns
EXCLUSIVE: Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasite found in water across the world, is picked up by lenses, researchers at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne say. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - September 5, 2017 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

FDA Orphan Drug Designation Granted to Profounda Inc. for the Treatment of Acanthamoeba Keratitis with Miltefosine
ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 19, 2016 -- (Healthcare Sales & Marketing Network) -- Profounda, Inc. ("Profounda") announced today that it has received the US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Orphan Drug Designation for the treatment of Acanthamoeba Ke... Biopharmaceuticals, Ophthalmology, FDA Profounda, miltefosine, Acanthamoeba Keratitis (Source: HSMN NewsFeed)
Source: HSMN NewsFeed - December 19, 2016 Category: Pharmaceuticals Source Type: news

Cornwall paramedic has his EYE removed after parasite infects his contact lens
Andrew Carthew, from Wadebridge, Cornwall, was diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis - an infection caused by an amoeba - a parasite found in almost all soil, fresh and sea water. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - December 2, 2016 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Acanthamoeba Infection in a Drowning Child - Gunawan PI, Idarto A, Saharso D.
BACKGROUND: Acanthamoeba infection is a potential life-threatening complication of drowning. The management of drowning-associated Acanthamoeba infection remains controversial. Survival reports on Acanthamoeba infection have been on case reports only. CASE... (Source: SafetyLit)
Source: SafetyLit - July 2, 2016 Category: Global & Universal Tags: Age: Infants and Children Source Type: news

Ice Caps Melt, Prehistoric Virus Escapes. No, It's Not a Movie.
A couple of months ago I talked about the connection between global warming and the Zika virus. Today I would like to discuss another interesting side effect we might observe in the next decades thanks to global warming. The ice caps will melt. Big deal, we already knew that. But have you ever thought of the stuff trapped in that ice that's going to thaw? What if some of that stuff isn't really dead, just dormant, waiting to come back? Sounds like fiction, but it's not. Up until a few years ago the general notion was that viruses were small. How small? Let's think in terms of genome units: viruses usually carry a handful ...
Source: Science - The Huffington Post - May 13, 2016 Category: Science Source Type: news

Blinded by a contact lens: Devon man is left in agony and unable to drive
Stephen Souter, 63, from Devon, was diagnosed with acanthamoeba keratitis, an infection caused by an amoeba — a parasite found in almost all soil, fresh water and sea water. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - December 29, 2015 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Parents Discover Heartwarming Note From Son After His Tragic Death
After their 6-year-old son Leland tragically died from an amoebic infection, Amber and Tim Shoemake were shocked to discover a sweet note the little boy had written to them before his passing. The note reads, "Still with you," followed by, "Thank you mom and dad love mom and dad" and "good day." The Shoemakes found Leland's note on a table in their living room when they returned home from the hospital to pick out burial clothes and objects for his casket. "We broke down and cried so hard," Amber told The Huffington Post. "He was so awesome in life, and this famil...
Source: Science - The Huffington Post - September 30, 2015 Category: Science Source Type: news

Leland Shoemake's parents find his 'goodbye' note after he died from a brain infection
Leland Shoemake died in Atlanta on Friday from an infection caused by the amoeba Balamuthia mandrillaris after being hospitalized in a critical condition two weeks ago. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - September 30, 2015 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Wear contact lenses? Read this - and you'll never swim in them or fail to wash your hands again
The parasite Acanthamoeba keratitis can burrow through contact lenses - and swimming, running lenses under tap water and poor hygiene are often to blame, a leading expert warns. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - May 29, 2015 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Jessica Greaney kept awake for a WEEK to stop parasite burrowing into eyeball
Jessica Greaney, 18, from Nottingham, had to have eyedrops put in her eyes every 10 minutes to stop the parasite Acanthamoeba Keratitis leaving her blind. (Source: the Mail online | Health)
Source: the Mail online | Health - May 19, 2015 Category: Consumer Health News Source Type: news

Woman's Death From Brain-Killing Amoeba Prompts Awareness Campaign
A California mother now wants to spread ???amoeba awareness??? after her newlywed daughter died last October from brain-killing amoeba called Balamuthia. (Source: ABC News: Health)
Source: ABC News: Health - April 6, 2015 Category: Consumer Health News Tags: Health Source Type: news

Acanthamoeba keratitis: A rare infectious eye disease is targeted by a new drug treatment under development by a European consortium
ODAK is an industry led FP7 project which aims to develop a safe and effective treatment for a rare eye disease Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), a devastating and severely debilitating condition which can lead to blindness and in over 85% of cases associated with contact lens wearing.AK is caused by a common protozoan (Acanthamoeba spp.) infecting the cornea which is extremely difficult to treat because of the pathogens resistance to antimicrobial therapy. It affects 1 in 100,000 people in the EU. (Source: Health News from Medical News Today)
Source: Health News from Medical News Today - March 3, 2014 Category: Consumer Health News Tags: Eye Health / Blindness Source Type: news

Acanthamoeba Keratitis Associated With Tap Water UseAcanthamoeba Keratitis Associated With Tap Water Use
Although exposure to water sources while wearing contact lenses is a known risk factor for infection, this behavior in contact lens hygiene protocols continues to prevail. Would explicit warnings help? Eye & Contact Lens (Source: Medscape Today Headlines)
Source: Medscape Today Headlines - May 20, 2013 Category: Consumer Health News Tags: Ophthalmology Journal Article Source Type: news