Comparative accuracy of preoperative tumour size of invasive ductal carcinoma on Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Digital Breast Tomosynthesis, Ultrasound and Computed Tomography: Radiologicpathologic incongruence and clinical implications
Background: Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is used selectively in addition to digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT), ultrasound (US) and computed tomography (CT) in the preoperative assessment of breast cancer patients. The aim of this study was to evaluate the preoperative size assessment of invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) on DBT, MRI, US, and CT compared with final histology, and evaluate the impact of MRI on the type of surgery and extent of treatment.
ConclusionThe presence of breast cancer does not significantly increase the likelihood for upgrade at a separate site of ipsilateral concurrent ADH above contemporary reported upgrade rates of ADH alone (10 –30%). When considering breast conservation for breast cancer, omitting excision of the site of ADH can be considered when low-risk features are present.
ConclusionsThis study contains the largest population dataset of ILC evaluated to date. While total breast cancer incidence rates in Ontario are largely unchanged, ILC incidence rates are steadily increasing and there is a trend towards diagnosis of ILC at a later stage. These trends highlight the ongoing diagnostic and treatment challenge ILC presents for patients and clinicians.
New research helps clarify the long-term risk for invasive breast cancer in women with ductal carcinoma (DCIS) in situ who opt for breast-conserving surgery alone or with radiotherapy.Reuters Health Information
Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer and the leading cause of death in women[1, 2]. Classifications for breast cancer vary significantly, ranging from histologic subtypes and growth patterns to molecular subtypes[3-6]. The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified breast cancer into at least 21 distinctive histologies based on cell morphology, growth, and architecture patterns. Invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) accounts for 75% of all breast cancers and constitutes a diagnosis by exclusion, while the remaining 25% comprise subtypes that display distinctive morphologic and prognostic profiles.
The objective of this study was to compare the effect of ultrasound-guided percutaneous MWA and NSM for breast cancer.Materials and MethodsA retrospective cohort study was conducted in a single institution from 2014 to 2020. Women with invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast ≤ 5cm treated by MWA or NSM were enrolled. The primary end point was tumor progression and secondary end points included survival, cosmetic results, and complications.Results21 patients in the MWA group and 43 in the NSM group were evaluated. The mean tumor size was 2.3 cm (range, 0.3–5.0 cm). Median follow-up was 26.7 months (range, 14.6...
MONDAY, Oct. 5, 2020 -- Research following patients for nearly three decades finds that surgery plus radiation beats surgery alone for women with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) -- a common, early form of breast cancer that can become invasive...
Abstract Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in the world based on incidence, reaching more than 2 million new cases in 2018, while continuing to increase. Invasive ductal carcinoma is the most common type of this cancer, making up approximately 70-80% of all breast cancer diagnoses. In particular, the type of breast cancer overexpressing human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) has potential of strong proliferation, migration and invasion and early treatment is necessary. The authors identified and studied a single patient displaying complete therapeutic resistance to monoclonal anti-HER2 antibo...
ConclusionDetermining the specific immune response in each subtype could be helpful in estimating the possible behavior of the tumor cells in TME. It is important to realize that different frequencies of immune cells in BC environment likely determine the patients ’ prognosis and their survival in each subtype. Therefore, elucidation of the distinct immune players in TME would be helpful toward developing targeted therapies in each subtype.
Risk for dying from breast cancer remains elevated 15 years after initial diagnosis
Background: The cumulative incidence of invasive contralateral breast cancer (CBC) for patients with first invasive breast cancer (BC) is approximately 0.4% per year. Less is known about CBC risk in patients with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). We aimed to assess the CBC risk in patients with first DCIS compared to those with invasive BC, taking age, screening period, and (neo) adjuvant systemic therapy into account.