Value of routine ultrasound examination at 35-37 weeks' gestation in diagnosis of non-cephalic presentation.
CONCLUSIONS: The problem of unexpected non-cephalic presentation in labor can to a great extent be overcome by a routine ultrasound examination at 35+0 - 36+6 weeks' gestation. The incidence of non-cephalic presentation at the 35+0 - 36+6 weeks scan was about 5%, but, in about 40% of these cases the presentation at birth was cephalic, mainly due to subsequent spontaneous rotation and to a lesser extent as a consequence of successful ECV. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved. PMID: 31671470 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
CONCLUSION: There is a high detection rate of UCK during targeted scan of the umbilical cord performed during the level-II anatomical scan. Careful pregnancy follow-up and early term delivery may result in excellent obstetrical outcomes. PMID: 32674187 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
ConclusionsThe uterocervical angle, measured mid ‐trimester, is a poor predictor of spontaneous preterm birth.
Publication date: Available online 20 February 2020Source: Case Reports in Women's HealthAuthor(s): Antonella Iannaccone, Marvin Darkwah Oppong, Philipp Dammann, Rainer Kimmig, Angela KöningerAbstractA fetal subdural hematoma (SDH) was diagnosed in a patient with sickle cell disease (SCD) during a routine ultrasound exam in the 30th week of pregnancy. A scan performed a few days earlier had revealed no abnormalities. After interdisciplinary consultation with neurosurgeons and neonatologists, a cesarean section was performed since acute subdural bleeding was hypothesized and the mother's condition was critical. After s...
ConclusionKagami –Ogata syndrome should have been suspected because of the presence of polyhydramnios and omphalocele during pregnancy. Respiratory insufficiency soon after birth, because of a small thorax, is expected in this disease and a diagnosis during pregnancy may have enabled appropriate care after birth.
Conclusion: In the late-term abortions, obstetricians should be vigilant if ultrasound imaging shows suspected umbilical vascular thrombosis or shows 1 umbilical artery when there had previously been 2. The fetus should be closely monitored and interventions implemented as early as possible to improve the prenatal detection rate of umbilical vessel thrombosis and avoid adverse pregnancy outcomes.
ConclusionsThe performance of the Danish national screening program for SGA based on selective EFWus on clinical indication have improved considerably over the last 20 years. Limitations of the program are the large proportion of women referred to ultrasound scan and the low performance post ‐term.
Rationale: Invasive moles occur in the fertile period, with about 95% occurring after previous mole removal and the remaining 5% occurring after several other pregnancies. Patient concerns: A 27-year-old patient developed a rare invasive mole two months after a missed abortion. Diagnoses: A transvaginal ultrasound scan revealed a 3.6 × 2.9 × 2.4 cm sized lesion with cystic vascular areas within it, within the myometrium of the right fundal posterior region of the uterus. There was no metastasis to other organs. Interventions: After administration of methotrexate, the level of beta-human chorionic g...
Bianca Cox1†, Maria Tsamou1†, Karen Vrijens1, Kristof Y. Neven1, Ellen Winckelmans1, Theo M. de Kok2, Michelle Plusquin1 and Tim S. Nawrot1,3* 1Center for Environmental Sciences, Hasselt University, Hasselt, Belgium 2Department of Toxicogenomics, Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands 3Department of Public Health, Environment and Health Unit, Leuven University (KU Leuven), Leuven, Belgium Maternal body mass index (BMI) before pregnancy is known to affect both fetal growth and later-life health of the newborn, yet the implicated molecular mechanisms remain largely unknown. As the master reg...
Performing ultrasound scans late in pregnancy helps women avoid undiagnosed...Read more on AuntMinnie.comRelated Reading: US body fat measure predicts obstetric complications Study explores link between prenatal ultrasound and autism Repeat fetal ultrasound screenings may be unnecessary Virtual reality takes prenatal imaging to new heights Ultrasound misses signs of early Zika infection
ConclusionsAccording to our estimates, universal late pregnancy ultrasound in nulliparous women (1) would virtually eliminate undiagnosed breech presentation, (2) would be expected to reduce foetal mortality in breech presentation, and (3) would be cost effective if foetal presentation could be assessed for less than £19.80 per woman.