Imaging Techniques in the Diagnosis and Management of Ocular Tumors: Prospects and Challenges
AbstractDifferent types of imaging modalities are used in the diagnosis of ocular cancer. Selection of an imaging modality is based on the features of a tumor as well as the inherent characteristics of the imaging technique. It is vital to select an appropriate imaging modality in diagnosis of ocular tumor with confidence. This review focuses on five most commonly used imaging modalities, i.e., positron emission tomography-computed tomography (PET/CT), single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), optical coherence tomography (OCT), ultrasound (US), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The principal of imaging modalities is briefly explained, along with their role in the diagnosis and management of the most common ocular tumors such as retinoblastoma and uveal melanoma. Further, the diagnostic features of ocular tumors corresponding to each imaging modality and possibilities of utilizing imaging techniques in the process of ocular drug development are included in this review.
Publication date: Available online 1 April 2020Source: Journal of Molecular LiquidsAuthor(s): Xianting Xie, Lu Zhang, Wenjuan Zhang, Reza Tayebee, Atefe Hoseininasr, Hamid H. Vatanpour, Zeinab Behjati, Suying Li, Marjan Nasrabadi, Liuyi Liu
Publication date: Available online 1 April 2020Source: Carbohydrate PolymersAuthor(s): Chia-Hsiang Yen, Sheng-Tien Li, Nai-Chen Cheng, You-Ren Ji, Jyh-Horng Wang, Tai-Horng Young
Publication date: Available online 1 April 2020Source: Inorganica Chimica ActaAuthor(s): Sourav De, S.K. Ashok Kumar
Publication date: Available online 1 April 2020Source: European Polymer JournalAuthor(s): Himani Kalita, Manoj Patowary
Conclusion: CD26 is involved in the pathogenesis of colorectal diseases; sCD26 is diminished in CRC patients suggesting the potential utility of a sCD26 for diagnosis. PMID: 32223519 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
ABSTRACT Purpose: To evaluate the first three years of The Amazon Ocular Oncology Center, the first ocular cancer center in the North of Brazil. Methods: Here, we report patient information including patients ’ age, gender, diagnosis, treatment, and city of origin. Results: Two hundred and twenty-one patients were included on this study: 160 (72%) patients came from the city of Manaus, 52 (24%) from other cities in Amazonas, and 9 (4%) from other states. Of the 221 patients, 150 (68%) were afflicted with benign lesions and the remaining 71 (32%) had malignant lesions. Benign diagnosis included pterygium, chalazium, c...
Abstract Uveal melanoma is the most common intraocular primary malignant tumor in adults, and retinoblastoma is the one in children. Current mainstay treatment options include chemotherapy using conventional drugs and enucleation, the total removal of the eyeball. Targeted therapies based on profound understanding of molecular mechanisms of ocular tumors may increase the possibility of preserving the eyeball and the vision. Tyrosine kinases, which modulate signaling pathways regarding various cellular functions including proliferation, differentiation, and attachment, are one of the attractive targets for targeted...
CONCLUSION: Modern diagnostic and therapeutic concepts for intraocular tumors can only be implemented through the close interdisciplinary collaboration of ophthal - mologists, oncologists, radiologists, radiotherapists, pathologists, and human geneticists. PMID: 29510820 [PubMed - in process]
un-Lévi JM Abstract Purpose was to summarize results for proton therapy in cancer treatment. A systematic review has been done by selecting studies on the website www.pubmed.com (Medline) and using the following keywords: proton therapy, radiation therapy, cancer, chordoma, chondrosarcoma, uveal melanoma, retinoblastoma, meningioma, glioma, neurinoma, pituitary adenoma, medulloblastoma, ependymoma, craniopharyngioma and nasal cavity. There are several retrospective studies reporting results for proton therapy in cancer treatments in the following indications: ocular tumors, nasal tumors, skull-based tumors,...
In conclusion, lncRNA BANCR plays a significant role in retinoblastoma aggressiveness and prognosis and may act as a promising target for therapeutic strategy and prognostic prediction.