Clinical findings of eyes with macular edema associated with branch retinal vein occlusion refractory to ranibizumab

Purpose: To determine the relationship between the clinical findings and the response to ranibizumab therapy in eyes with macular edema associated with branch retinal vein occlusion. Methods: We reviewed the medical records of 68 patients with macular edema associated with a branch retinal vein occlusion. The patients were placed in the refractory group if the central foveal thickness remained more than 250 μm throughout the 6-month study period despite the ranibizumab therapy; otherwise, they were placed in the responsive group. Results: Sixty (88.2%) of 68 eyes were placed in the responsive group and the other 8 eyes (11.8%) were placed in the refractory group. At the pretreatment examination, fluorescein angiography showed extensive leakage from occluded vessels in 52 (86.7%) of the 60 eyes in the responsive group and focal leakages from microaneurysms or dilated capillaries in the other 8 eyes (13.3%). In the refractory group, 7 (87.5%) of 8 eyes had only focal leakage and 1 eye (12.5%) had extensive leakage (P
Source: RETINA - Category: Opthalmology Tags: Original Study Source Type: research

Related Links:

Authors: McCool D, Butler C, Evans J, Aase C Abstract A 43-year-old female scuba diver was retrieved and treated following a rapid ascent and presumed cerebral arterial gas embolism (CAGE). She subsequently developed respiratory distress and was found to have Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, with transient left ventricular dysfunction, elevated cardiac enzymes, and normal CT coronary angiography. We believe this to be the first report of CAGE associated with Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. PMID: 31523799 [PubMed - in process]
Source: Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine - Category: Sports Medicine Tags: Diving Hyperb Med Source Type: research
Publication date: Available online 16 September 2019Source: Academic RadiologyAuthor(s): Morikatsu Yoshida, Takeshi Nakaura, Takada Sentaro, Shota Tanoue, Hatsuki Inada, Daisuke Utsunomiya, Naritsugu Sakaino, Kazunori Harada, Yasuyuki YamashitaRationale and ObjectivesTo compare the objective and subjective image qualities between single-energy computed tomography (CT) at 70 kVp and virtual monoenergetic imaging (VMI) of dual-source dual-energy CT for CT angiography with 180 mgI/kg.Materials and MethodsTotal 63 patients scanned with 180 mgI/kg were randomly divided into two groups: Group A (32 patients) underwent CT angiogr...
Source: Academic Radiology - Category: Radiology Source Type: research
Ulnar hemimelia is a rare congenital deformity. The severity of the deformity increases with the number of fingers that are absent. Clearly, grip function is impossible with a mono-finger hand. Here, we present a case report of a patient with bilateral ulnar hemimelia that included the absence of radial fingers and also deformity in the toes of his left foot. A toe-to-hand transfer was performed successfully to help the patient gain grip function. Both the patient and the parents were very pleased with the result. To our knowledge, this is the first case report of a patient with ulnar hemimelia and absent radial fingers wh...
Source: Annals of Plastic Surgery - Category: Cosmetic Surgery Tags: Microsurgery Source Type: research
Siemens Healthineers won FDA clearance for the ARTIS icono angiography systems that are designed for use in a variety of procedure types. The ARTIS icono 2D/3D biplane system is intended for neuroradiology and abdominal imaging while the ARTIS icono ...
Source: Medgadget - Category: Medical Devices Authors: Tags: Cardiac Surgery Cardiology Neurology Neurosurgery Oncology Radiology Thoracic Surgery Vascular Surgery Source Type: blogs
Guidelines and high-quality studies recommend using clinical decision-making (CDM) tools over clinical gestalt when evaluating a patient for pulmonary embolism. The purpose of this study is to investigate our computed tomography pulmonary angiogram (CTPA) utilization patterns and identify causal factors.
Source: Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal - Category: Radiology Authors: Tags: Trauma and Emergency Room Imaging / L ’imagerie des urgences et des traumatismes Source Type: research
A 40-something male with no PMH of any kind presented  to urgent care on a weekend (cath team is at home) with cough starting 2 weeks prior and SOB one week prior.He underwent a chest x-ray:As this was consistent with " pulmonary edema vs. viral infection, " and he was transferred to the EDThe faculty physician did an immediate cardiac and lung ultrasound:Many B lines (probable pulmonary edema)Parasternal short axis cardiac ultrasound:The anterior wall is closest to the transducer and shows an obvious wall motion abnormalityFurther history:The patient denied chest pain but stated that he had had ab...
Source: Dr. Smith's ECG Blog - Category: Cardiology Authors: Source Type: blogs
Siemens Healthineers has received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) clearance...Read more on AuntMinnie.comRelated Reading: Siemens to debut 2 new CT scanners at ASTRO Siemens completes 1st U.S. Mobilett Elara Max install Siemens to buy cardiac cath firm Corindus for $1.1B SyntheticMR wins Siemens contract Siemens Healthineers posts Q3 revenue increases
Source: AuntMinnie.com Headlines - Category: Radiology Source Type: news
Authors: Liebenthal R, Butler S, Coppola J, Shah B Abstract BACKGROUND: Use of a universal diagnostic catheter may decrease procedural time and catheter-exchange related spasm when compared with a dual-catheter strategy. The aim of this study was to identify preprocedural predictors of failure to complete a coronary angiogram with a universal catheter alone. METHODS: Consecutive patients (n = 782) who underwent a right transradial/transulnar coronary angiogram with a single operator were retrospectively reviewed. Multivariable predictors of failure to complete the procedure with a universal catheter alone were ...
Source: The Journal of Invasive Cardiology - Category: Cardiology Tags: J Invasive Cardiol Source Type: research
Publication date: Available online 14 September 2019Source: Heart &LungAuthor(s): Zenghui Zhang, Jun GuoAbstractBackgroundLeft ventricular aneurysm (LVA) is a severe complication of ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) and is associated with poor prognosis due to high mortality. However, predictors of LVA formation in early period are inadequately defined.ObjectivesThe purpose of this study is to determine potential predictors of LVA formation in early period (
Source: Heart and Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care - Category: Respiratory Medicine Source Type: research
ConclusionsRAE was feasible and safe. The use of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate, presence of coagulopathy, and transfusion of> 10 U of PRBCs were significant factors related to recurrent bleeding. Bilateral inferior mesenteric artery and internal iliac artery angiography is highly recommended in the initial RAE session to achieve a high rate of bleeding control.
Source: Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology - Category: Radiology Source Type: research
More News: Angiography | Eyes | Lucentis | Ranibizumab Injection | Study | Vitamin A