Use Portable Generators Safely to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In the wake of a masscarbon monoxide exposure last weekend, Wisconsin Department of Health Services ’ (DHS) public health officials are reminding residents of the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning from the use of generators. On August 6, nearly 130 people reported to Madison area hospitals following exposure to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. The Madison Fire Department identified the source of the carbon monoxide as agas-...(see release)
Source: Wisconsin DHFS Press Releases - Category: Hospital Management Authors: Source Type: news

Related Links:

Source: BMJ Comments - Category: General Medicine Source Type: forums
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is one of the leading causes of preventable death in the world. Our primary objective was to identify and treat individuals who are unaware of their exposure to carbon monoxide in emergency departments (EDs). Our secondary goal was to reduce the costs of diagnosis and treatment by preventing unnecessary diagnostic testing in EDs.
Source: The American Journal of Emergency Medicine - Category: Emergency Medicine Authors: Source Type: research
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Carbon monoxide is one of the most common causes of fatal intoxications in the United States, and multiple previous studies have demonstrated that cigarette smokers have higher levels of carbon monoxide in their blood. However, t...
Source: SafetyLit - Category: International Medicine & Public Health Tags: Alcohol and Other Drugs Source Type: news
CONCLUSIONS: Therefore, it is important to recognize cigarette smoke as a significant source of carbon monoxide exposure. SCIENTIFIC SIGNIFICANCE: While the negative effects of cigarette smoking are often perceived as being chronic and only coming to fruition after numerous years of exposure, it is important for both physicians and patients to recognize the possibility for potentially life-threatening acute toxicity secondary to carbon monoxide exposure. (Am J Addict 2019;00:1-3). PMID: 31348564 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Source: American Journal on Addictions - Category: Addiction Authors: Tags: Am J Addict Source Type: research
A discussion of hazards such as electricity generators an heating appliances. Language: en...
Source: SafetyLit - Category: International Medicine & Public Health Tags: Disaster Preparedness Source Type: news
BACKGROUND: Carbon monoxide (CO) is a major and ubiquitous component of fire atmospheres produced when organic matter is burned in an inadequate supply of oxygen. Accidental poisoning by CO is common in cold climates where fireplaces, a gas, electric or ke...
Source: SafetyLit - Category: International Medicine & Public Health Tags: Home and Consumer Product Safety Source Type: news
By improving clinical awareness of the signs, symptoms, causes, and treatment of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning,1 we can reduce this avoidable burden on health and health services. CO poisoning is under-reported and under-recorded.2 In Wales, there w...
Source: SafetyLit - Category: International Medicine & Public Health Tags: Economics of Injury and Safety, PTSD, Injury Outcomes Source Type: news
AIM: To investigate disaster-related carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning after the Great East Japan Earthquake using a nationwide inpatient database in Japan. METHODS: This was a retrospective cohort study. We identified adult patients with CO poisoning...
Source: SafetyLit - Category: International Medicine & Public Health Tags: Disaster Preparedness Source Type: news
Authors: Dawson RM, Williams AP, Richardson J Abstract Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is preventable yet remains the most common cause of U.S. non-drug poisoning. The purpose of this non-experimental study was to develop and evaluate the theory-based CO Blitz Model. Events targeted five SC communities; volunteers provided education while local firefighters installed CO alarms. At the 4-6-month follow-up evaluation, all homes still had a functioning CO alarm; most recipients could name CO sources in their homes (78%) and what to do if the alarm sounded (90%). The theory-driven process evaluation revealed the CO Blit...
Source: Journal of Community Health Nursing - Category: Nursing Tags: J Community Health Nurs Source Type: research
Improper venting of a boiler led to carbon monoxide poisoning at Winnipeg motel, officials said Wednesday after their initial investigation into an incident that led dozens of people to be treated in hospital.
Source: CBC | Health - Category: Consumer Health News Tags: News/Canada/Manitoba Source Type: news
More News: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | Department of Health | Health | Hospital Management | Hospitals | International Medicine & Public Health | Poisoning