Happiness by Design by Paul Dolan and How We Are by Vincent Deary – review

Stuck in a rut? Imprisoned by habit? Two major books offer insights into how to be happy and when to make a major life changeA few years ago, in a survey conducted by an accident prevention charity, 80% of respondents admitted to going through life on autopilot: arriving at the end of a car journey with no memory of driving there, buying the same item twice without realising, even turning up at the office on a day off. The other 20% must have been lying or deluded. (Or just answering the survey on autopilot, perhaps?) To an unnerving extent – made clearer by ongoing research – we're all creatures of habit, spending our days acting out ingrained behaviours and responses over which we exert no control. This has many advantages: if our brains weren't built to convert as many actions as possible into automatic routines, we would seize up trying to breathe or walk, let alone drive a car. But it's also frightening. Treading the well-worn paths of habit, we easily get mired in jobs, relationships or ways of thinking that make us miserable, in lives we'd never have consciously chosen. "Here you are, here we all are, semi-automated creatures in our tram-track worlds, running through the paths of least resistance," as Vincent Deary puts it, in one of two new books on how we get stuck – and on finding the will to forge new paths when life demands it.Paul Dolan, an LSE economist and government well-being adviser – a man who knows his way around the ...
Source: Guardian Unlimited Science - Category: Science Authors: Tags: Science and nature Psychology Books Culture Source Type: news

Related Links:

CONCLUSION: Extensive research have been carried out on various process for preparing Bortezomib and composition thereof. This type of dynamic research will clear the path for many generic players in the United States which lead in reduction of price of the composition and thereby enhancing global health care at cheaper prices. PMID: 32234004 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Source: Recent Patents on Anti-Cancer Drug Discovery - Category: Cancer & Oncology Tags: Recent Pat Anticancer Drug Discov Source Type: research
FDA has granted Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to Battelle's CCDS Critical Care Decontamination System for processing up to 80,000 respirator masks per system each day. CCDS employs concentrated, vapor-phase hydrogen peroxide (VPHP) for decontamination. The system has been validated to decontaminate masks of SARS-CoV-2, the company reported. The masks are placed on shelves inside a container, and a portable, external VPHP system is hooked up to the outside of container. The system was first envisioned by Battelle as part of a study commissioned by FDA in 2015. That study involved determining the feasibility of N95 respi...
Source: MDDI - Category: Medical Devices Authors: Tags: Sterilization Source Type: news
Source: BMJ Comments - Category: General Medicine Source Type: forums
Publication date: 4–10 April 2020Source: The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10230Author(s): Jorge A Alfaro-Murillo, Marí L Ávila-Agüero, Meagan C Fitzpatrick, Caroline J Crystal, Luiza-Helena Falleiros-Arlant, Alison P Galvani
Source: The Lancet - Category: General Medicine Source Type: research
Publication date: 4–10 April 2020Source: The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10230Author(s): Stephen W Russell, Brian T Garibaldi, Andrew Elder, Abraham Verghese
Source: The Lancet - Category: General Medicine Source Type: research
Publication date: 4–10 April 2020Source: The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10230Author(s):
Source: The Lancet - Category: General Medicine Source Type: research
Publication date: 4–10 April 2020Source: The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10230Author(s): Fathiah Zakham, Olli Vapalahti, Hilal A Lashual
Source: The Lancet - Category: General Medicine Source Type: research
Publication date: 4–10 April 2020Source: The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10230Author(s): Renato D Lopes, Claudio Gimpelewicz, John J V McMurray
Source: The Lancet - Category: General Medicine Source Type: research
Publication date: 4–10 April 2020Source: The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10230Author(s): Genichi Sugihara, Nori Takei
Source: The Lancet - Category: General Medicine Source Type: research
Publication date: 4–10 April 2020Source: The Lancet, Volume 395, Issue 10230Author(s): Gorka Orive, Unax Lertxundi
Source: The Lancet - Category: General Medicine Source Type: research
More News: Accident Prevention | Accidents | Brain | Government | Jobs | Parenting | Psychology | Science